The United Way of Tucson is a member of the Arizona Nutrition Network, a statewide group that receives money from the United States Department of Agriculture─Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program to provide nutrition education to low income children and families.
Our goal is to provide nutrition messages to kids and families that are accurate and consistent:
- Drink 1% or skim milk
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes a day
- Eat more fruits and vegetables every day
- Be an appropriate weight for your height
All the activities we do will promote these messages.
Why promote these messages ?
Almost 2/3 of American adults and 1/3 of American children are overweight or obese. Chronic diseases (such as diabetes and high blood pressure) are related to being overweight or obese. Reducing the level of fat in the diet, increasing the amount of fiber and being physically active helps keep children healthy and at an appropriate weight.
What you will do for us:
Promote the nutrition messages in your program activities every day if possible. We will provide training on how to implement it into your program. You will be required to fill our a monthly report on all nutrition related activites and submit it a United Way staff member.
What we can do for you: Here are some examples….
- Provide you with training on nutrition and/or physical activity
- Do a food demonstration at your site complete with samples to taste using our portable kitchen
- Provide you with supplies if you are doing a nutrition education activity
- Provide you with small incentives if you are doing an event
- Come to your site and do various nutrition activities with students/participants
- Provide you with lesson plans, materials and supplies to help deliver the good nutrition message
What we cannot do: Here are some examples…
- Provide snacks on an ongoing basis
- Conduct ongoing exercise classes or organize team sports
- Do a weight loss or diet intervention
- Provide you with exercise equipment
If you have an idea of something you would like to do with your kids that is nutrition related just ask ! We may be able to help!
For Afterschool Programs (ages 6-12), contact Alisa Arce at 520-903-3931, email@example.com.